Needing to bring a casserole dish to work this month or next? Need an idea for a side dish on Thanksgiving day? You gotta try this one! It’s got plenty of cheesiness and potatoes to brighten up your day!
I got this recipe from a friend and have been making it for all sorts of occasions. There have been a lot of breakfast get-togethers with friends, many Thanksgivings, as well as cooking for the family anytime. This dish is great for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
I will provide the main ingredients for the original recipe, then share my changes in BOLD. Spoiler Alert: It’s a little healthier alternative!
- 2 lb bag of frozen hashbrowns (small squares)
- 1 cup of melted butter (Tastes just as good w/o Butter)
- 1 tsp. salt
- dash of pepper
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion (I usually make without onion)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- small container of sour cream (Fage Greek Yogurt)
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups crushed corn flakes cereal
- Mix all ingredients together except for cornflakes (if you’re using butter, only use half cup here)
- Spread in 9×13 glass pan
- Spread cheese and cornflakes on top
- Drizzle remaining butter over top
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour
*I typically add an extra can of cream of chicken soup, a little more Fage Greek yogurt and more cheese.